For i-Gem Associates, business success relies on having talented people with a variety of skills and perspectives who can come together to create high performing teams. Success also relies upon valuing each employee for their contribution to the business. i-Gem Associates offers an environment where all employees can progress, achieve their career aspirations and be rewarded based on merit and capability alone.
i-Gem Associates recognises that everyone is different and unique and it values and celebrates those differences. The Company believes that all employees are entitled to be treated with dignity, respect and courtesy, and can work in an environment which is free from any form of bullying, harassment, discrimination and victimisation. The Company is committed to equality of opportunity for all, irrespective of race, ethnic or national origins, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, education, trade union membership and beliefs.
This policy contains:
• Working environment
• Disability and Reasonable Adjustment
• Harassment, Bullying and Victimisation
• Public Disclosure
Diversity at work also makes good business sense, because it enables the Company to:
• Demonstrate to clients and suppliers that we have a workforce that crosses cultures and all other personal differences
• Reach and relate to diverse markets, which enhances the Company’s reputation and profitability
• Create an environment free from discrimination where difference is valued
• Recruit and retain employees with skills and experience who can, through their continued and diverse contribution, enhance the business performance of the organisation
• Attract people from diverse backgrounds whose cultural understanding enhance and improve the overall contribution of the workforce
• Avoid uniformity of teams, which can stifle creativity and problem-solving
• Create and maintain stronger employee, client and supplier relationships which increases employee and client satisfaction
• Provide fulfilling careers by ensuring opportunity is available to all employees
i-Gem Associates is committed to ensuring that all employees enjoy a working environment where they are encouraged to achieve their full potential.
This will be achieved by:
• seeking to understand and respond to the full range of diversity and equality issues by consulting on initiatives and inviting feedback from employees
• ensuring compliance with equality legislation, and where possible exceeding statutory obligations
• ensuring that all employment related decisions are based on objective, open and non-discriminatory job related criteria and are consistently applied and audited
• continuously reviewing and improving all HR practices and procedures, e.g. recruitment, selection, training & development, promotion, grievance-handling, disciplinary procedures, harassment, and dismissal, to ensure equality is a key factor
• regularly auditing and monitoring the Diversity of the Company’s workforce
i-Gem Associates will not tolerate any form of discrimination in the workplace on any grounds. If it is alleged that discrimination has occurred, this will be investigated thoroughly, and appropriate action will be taken if proven. Serious forms of discrimination can constitute gross misconduct and may result in summary dismissal under the Company’s Disciplinary and Grievance policy.
Discrimination can take two forms, direct and indirect.
Direct discrimination occurs when someone is treated less favourably, for example on grounds of their gender, race, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation. An example of this is if you are a woman and are rejected for a role because it is deemed to be only suitable for a man, and there is no objective reason for this.
Indirect discrimination occurs when a condition or rule is applied which disqualifies a large proportion of one group from an activity, and there is no genuine reason for imposing that condition, e.g. an assignment where the role description implies that only people who are prepared to work long hours away from home for lengthy periods will be considered, thus potentially excluding employees who are less mobile, where, in fact, that level of flexibility is not a genuine requirement of the role.
If you feel that you are being discriminated against, or if you believe that someone else’s behaviour, including that of a client or a supplier is potentially discriminatory, you should talk to your immediately. You also have the option of raising a formal grievance under the Company’s grievance procedure if the matter cannot be resolved informally or is too serious for an informal approach to be appropriate.
Your claim will be investigated fully and disciplinary action will be taken if discrimination is proven. In the event of a claim of discrimination by a client or supplier, the Company will notify a senior member of their organisation, so that they may take appropriate action. In such circumstances, the Company will also take steps to ensure that our employees are fully supported and, if appropriate, moved away from any such unwanted or unacceptable behaviour.
GENDER AND GENDER IDENTITY
i-Gem Associates will not tolerate any discrimination on the grounds of a person’s gender. This includes treating someone less favourably because they are on maternity leave. The Company recognises that “gender dysphoria” is a genuine medical condition and must be supported appropriately. The Company expects all employees to treat transsexual employees in a manner appropriate to their new gender, including addressing them by their new name by using language appropriate to their new gender. Sexual harassment is any harassing conduct which is based on the gender of the recipient and it is not permitted in any form. Sexual harassment can include unwelcome advances or other conduct of a sexual nature, sending jokes or e-mails of a sexually offensive nature, gestures or explicit pictures or words, or any other conduct which leaves the recipient feeling threatened or compromised.
Treating someone less favourably as a result of their race or ethnic or national origins is unlawful and will not be tolerated in any form within i-Gem Associates. Racial harassment can include derogatory remarks, racially explicit statements or jokes, stereotyping and ‘nicknames’. Such behaviour is unacceptable within the Company.
Treating someone less favourably as a result of their sexual orientation is unlawful and will not be tolerated in any form. Discrimination on the basis of a person’s actual or perceived sexual orientation is not acceptable.
RELIGION AND BELIEF
In determining whether a religion or belief falls within the protection of the regulations governing discrimination on religion and belief, factors to be considered include whether or not there is a belief in a supreme being, collective worship, a clear belief system and a profound belief affecting a person’s way of life or view of the world. It also includes discrimination for a lack of belief or religion. Discrimination or harassment on the grounds of actual or perceived religion or beliefs is not acceptable. Whilst the Company respects individual observance of differing religions, religious holidays that are not designated as UK public holidays must be taken as holiday or unpaid leave (subject to authorisation requirements laid out in the Company’s holiday policy).
Discrimination against a person on the grounds of their actual or perceived age (whether younger or older) is unacceptable and the Company is committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all employees regardless of age.